Monday, October 3, 2011

A New Medium! - Crocheting!! (Learn along with me!)

For those of you who have been with me since the beginning, you'll remember my introduction to paper crafting. For those of you who are just joining me, you probably did so because of my paper crafting :) The truth is, I'm new to it all, but I have this tendency to become completely enthralled with things and I have to learn and know everything about (insert new hobby here). It's how I became fluent in Spanish in three months, taught myself to sew, learned how to bartend, etc. Now, it's how I'll learn to crochet!

Now, I'm not going to pretend I just picked up a hook and got to work because that's not what happened. Luckily, I happen to be the daughter of one of the most TALENTED crocheters (is that a word) in the world! I'm not kidding. My mother crochets the most delicate and beautiful things I've ever seen. In truth, I didn't even realize that crocheting could even vaguely resemble knitting until about a year ago because everything my mother has ever made has been so ornate and lacy that I thought it had to look like a doily to be considered crocheting. Her passion is baby clothes so all the pictures I have of her work are baby items, preciously modeled by my niece Siana.


Right?! I mean, I'm not sure I'll be whipping out any of these goodies in the near future, but I am determined to learn, so, when my mom and dad came to visit this past weekend, my mom and I nestled into my bed (while watching some Lie to Me on netflix) and she taught me the basic chain, the single crochet, and the double crochet. It took me a few tries, but I caught on eventually. And, In case you'd like to learn alongside with me, I've found some really great youtube videos for each stitch.

Basic Chain Stitch

Single Crochet Stitch

Double Crochet Stitch

I'm guessing this is where I'd post a picture of the pot holder or the misshapen glove that I spent the weekend working on, but I can't. I actually haven't made anything! One of my favorite parts of this medium (so far) is that I can practice, pull it out, practice some more, and pull it out again! Unlike paper, where you have to throw it out if you make a mistake, with crocheting, you can just keep on going! How environmentally friendly:) And wonderfully therapeutic.

If you're also interested in getting started with crocheting too I'll be taking you through my journey step by step. To get started, here's what you'll need.

1) Hooks. My mom swears by the hooks with the padded or thicker handles. She's buying me these for my birthday:
Soft Touch Crochet Hook Gift Set
(pic from knitpicks.com) 

2) Yarn. I live a good distance from a Michael's and I have no patience so I went to this little boutique knitting store in town that sells specialty yarn weaved by gnomes who live inside of  unicorn-inhabited forests. I paid a pretty penny for some ivory wool that promises to crochet itself into a delicate scarf while I sleep. So far, it's still a ball of yarn, so I think I overpaid. That being said, it's soft!

3) A good book on tape (I heart audible.com!) or a television show you don't need to see to follow along with because you'll need to keep an eye on what you're doing.

4) A pattern! While I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what's out there for crocheters on the internet, I did find a couple of sites with some really nice free beginner patterns:


What's the first thing I want to try and make? (Once I know what I'm doing) This!!:

(pattern from knitpicks.com)
I can totally see this living on the back of my chair at work and me throwing it on when I'm chilly! (which is always). I can't wait to get started!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...