Sunday, September 25, 2011

{Tutorial} 3-D Style Glasses

Yikes! It's been over a week since the last time I posted! That hasn't happened since I launched the blog in April!! I feel terribly about it, less because I think I'm disappointing you guys (because let's face it, you guys aren't sitting around waiting for me to create a new post) but because it demonstrates a true inability to juggle all the things in my life with any effectiveness. I have a habit of biting off more in life than I can chew sometimes. That being said, there is a saving grace here, I did continued to craft:)



Today's tutorial tickles me. I love this project, though when I excitedly showed it off at my birthday dinner, nobody else seemed as excited as I did. I don't care. I love them. I first saw the idea on a wedding posted on 100 Layer Cake. This couple took a bunch of 3-D glasses, covered them with paper and used them as part of their table setting. Guests had a ball with them.


I loved these little things so much, I had to re-create them. First I looked into seeing how much it would be just to buy the 3-d glasses and cover them in paper like this couple did. I found some on rainbowsymphonystore.com that were about .40 cents each, not bad. Then I figured, if I'm going to cover them with paper anyways, it might just be easier to start from scratch. I was able to find a template for DIY glasses on NASA.gov (not kidding). I used the template to create a pattern for my Silhouette, then realized I had total freedom to choose the color lenses that I wanted. I went with pink (a little play on "rose colored glasses"). Here's how I assembled them:

How to Make

Materials
1 piece of cardstock (I used white, but you can use any color)
8.5" x 11" piece of kraft paper
Mod Podge
Acetate sheet in color of you choice (available at any art store, including online ones)
Scissors
Template- PDF File Here or Silhouette File Here (silhouette template makes 2 sets)

Instructions
1) Use the template to cut out the pieces for 1 set of glasses on the cardstock, and another on the kraft paper.


2) Using your Mod Podge piece together the glasses in the cardstock. I've found that the best way to do this is to glue the side pieces to the front piece in like the below picture (the "glue tab" is toward the front of the glasses. Since we'll be putting the kraft paper over the front of the glasses, you won't be able to see the tabs).


3) Cover the outside of the "side pieces" with Mod Podge and glue on the kraft paper side pieces. Your glasses should look like this:


4) Cut out 2 squares from your acetate for lenses. I just layed the sheet over the glasses and marked the sheet  with a sharpie in the areas I wanted to cut. Use the Mod Podge to glue to the front of the glasses. It'll look like this:


5) Cover the entire front of the glasses with Mod Podge and glue on the front of your glasses (since there are slight differences in right and left sides of the template, I recommend laying the kraft paper on top before you glue it so that you know which way should be facing out). 


If you want, you can stop here! They are ready for wear. I, however, had a hard time not decking it out, so I kept going. I used adhesive jewels to make it pretty, then I made the hubby wear them for a pic (doesn't he look thrilled?!)


Enhanced by Zemanta
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...