Monday, July 11, 2011

{Tutorial} Hand Stitched Cards

Don't ask me why, but I've had the desire to sew paper for a while now. I think I like the look of these two forms of crafting together in what would seem an unlikely joining. When I was brainstorming thank you card ideas I figured now was as good a time as any to give it a shot! I'm kind of in love with the result.



How To Make

Materials Needed
Embroidery Floss in color/s of your choice
Pencil, printer, or digital cutter to outline shape of choice
Needle
1 sheet Cardstock

Instructions
1) Cut your cardstock down to size. I cut mine to 8.5 x 5.5" (ultimately folding it so it was 4.25 x 5.5)

2) Determine what shape, design or words you want to place on the front or your card. You can either print out the shape then cut it out for tracing onto the front of your card, cut it out with a digital cutter, or freehand the design. I've also used my iPad as a light box before and lightly traced the design onto the card stock when I wasn't near a printer. Innovation :)

3) After getting your image onto the front of your card, take your pin and poke holes along the outline of your design, making sure to space them evenly.

4) Thread your needle with the embroidery floss of your choice and stitch around your design.

5) When you're done stitching your design, fold your card in half. That's it! You've just created a unique and awesome handmade card!



**Note: I used my Silhouette to cut out the card and the shape. I cut the shape on the perforated edging setting. This saved me the steps of tracing the shape and poking the holes in the cardstock but isn't necessary to create the card.**

Where to Buy


Sewing cards is not an overly unique idea and there are numerous vendors on Etsy that sell some really nice cards, but when I came across 1threadnest I knew I had to feature her. Look at some of her great cards! And they're eco-friendly too!!


13 comments:

Karima said...

Looks great, I love to sew but have never sewed a card! Saw you on Linky, now google following, please pop by, Karima x
www.karimascrafts.com

Katherines Corner said...

Very pretty. When I was young my Mother and I would make something like this. Thank you for bringing back a fond memory. Hugs!

Amy said...

That is really cute, I love the idea! I like to sew fabric on cards, it's a little bit faster for me. Thanks for sharing!

Jess@Balancing The Dream said...

wow!! this is amazing!! great job! i'm pinning it!! :)

Ashley said...

wow this is very pretty! I would love to try this out! thanks for sharing:)
http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

Amy @ TheMombot.com said...

super cute! i'm OBSESSED with sewing paper! But I usually use my sewing machine. This gives me something new to try :)

Maggie said...

loooooove this. amazing!

Sarah M. said...

Thank you ladies for all your kind feedback! I love this little project and I'm so happy that it connected with you as well:)

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

What a sweet little card! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

June Scott said...

I love the idea of sewing on paper too, Sarah! Thanks for sharing, your card came out great!

Antigone (Staci) said...

Great idea! I think I found my next summer project. Thanks for sharing!

c.w.frosting said...

Simple & pretty! Love this idea!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

AmieAnn said...

Beautiful! Love the elegant simplicity of these! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...