Friday, June 10, 2011

{Tutorial} Painted Utensils


This is not a unique idea, I originally saw the idea at Ladies and Gentleman, only they did it with large serving utensils. And they do it for $35 each. Yikes! They're cute and all, but when you find out how easy they are to make, you'll be rushing out to your nearest thrift store or Ikea searching for cheap cutlery sets.

For those of you that don't already know, crafting and blogging is not my day job (though craftiness is a mindset you can't ever really turn off). My real job is a "number cruncher" for a DC restaurant company, which comes with a ton of awesome perks, one of which is access to a large amount of random things that have craft potential such as wine bottles, retired plates and, not least among them, the recent acquisition of a 50 gallon drum of abandoned silverware from our linen company (apparently servers have a habit of throwing utensils in linen bags with the napkins without noticing it and the linen companies save all of it in large barrels). One of our restaurant managers wanted to reclaim our utensils and the company made the deal that if we wanted our silver back, we'd have to take the whole barrel. So we did! We found 3 of our forks... but it left me with a TON of silver to do what I'd like with. My first project is to paint them!

How to Make:

Materials Needed:
Enamel spray paint (I've chosen spray paint because the dip method -demonstrated here- didn't turn out so hot for me, even when I hung them to avoid smudging, but you're more than welcome to try that 
route)
Painters tape
Plastic wrap

Instructions:
1) Take plastic wrap and wrap the end of the silverware that will come in contact with food.
2) Take the painters tape and tape over the plastic wrap at the spot on the utensil where you would like the paint to end.
3) Spray the handles of the silverware and let dry.
4) Wait an hour and spray on another coat. Let dry.
5) Flip the utensils and repeat steps 3 and 4 on the back end.
How easy was that?! I forsee this being an awesome project for DIY parties or weddings, or even just as a fun was to re-energize your old cutlery!



**Update** I highly recommend finishing the utensils with a protective clear coat. I used a clear enamel spray coat over top of the finished utensils and it made them much more durable and resistant to chips and scratches! 

Where to Buy:
There is a new shop named UnknownBoutique on Etsy that has a set of hot pink painted utensils that are worth taking a look at. I didn't see hot pink when I was shopping for paint so she may have some tricks up her sleeve:)


And of course, the place where it all started, Ladies and Gentleman have the oversized serving utensils for purchase in their store here.

9 comments:

Kimberley said...

Cool idea. Thanks for sharing :) Hi! I'm your newest follower from the Monday hop. I hope you'll come visit me and follow me back at http://mommychosis.blogspot.com

Thanks and have a wonderful week!

Ladybird Ln said...

Love this idea, I am featuring this on my blog today!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Seriously a GREAT idea! My goodness, you can get ugly, mismatched silverware at every thrift store for just pennies! How fun to coordinate with colors for a party or event!? Thanks for sharing!

D+B said...

Super Cute blog!! :) I am your newest follower! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your blog to learn new things!! If you would like to take a look at my blog that would be wonderful and follow me back! For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com Look out for some giveaways also like mineral make-up. I am new to this but excited to share ideas on yummy food!
Thanks,
Brooke

Ginger Snaps said...

That's awesome. :) I'd love for you to link this up over at my {wow me} wednesday link party going on over on my blog right now. :) Following from Fingerprints on the Fridge. :)

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

{nifty thrifty things} said...

What a fun idea! Love this!!
Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
xoxo,
Vanessa

Ali Blackwood said...

Great project! Are they dishwasher safe? How have they held up so far? I'd really like to do this if it's pretty durable. Thanks!

Sarah M. said...

@Ali- I've been hand washing them, so I'm not sure how they would hold up in the dishwasher, but I did note that the polyurethane coating greatly improved their durability!

mel said...

these look really fun.
oh if i had your barrel of silverware, i would definitely recreate a chandelier that's in a shop here in toronto. it's made of all antique spoons. they aren't painted or bent, just hanging gracefully in a circle with some crystals, it takes a minute to realize what you're looking at.
feel free to do it, just make sure to post a picture :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...