Tuesday, June 14, 2011

{Tutorial} DIY Drink Coasters


When I saw this tutorial on how to make your own coasters in Hostess with the Mostess I knew I had to try it! I. Love. This. Project!! They turned out so nicely! I can envision these as being the perfect little favor at a wedding or a baby shower (see my attempt at baby shower themed coasters below). And would you believe me if I told you the whole project (all 8 coasters) cost me under $3.00?!

How to Make

Materials Needed:
4 tiles (I used 4" coasters, but you can use any size you'd like)
Mod Podge
Foam Brush
Felt or Cork for underside of coaster (I used self adhesive felt)
Polyurethane spray for finishing coat
Patterned paper of your choice (this can be scrapbooking paper, wrapping paper, origami paper, etc)
Scissors or xacto knife

Instructions:
1) Trace your tile onto the patterned paper you chose and cute out. I decided to measure my tile and then use an xacto knife and a ruler because I seem incapable of tracing a straight line.
2) Working on one tile at a time, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge with a foam brush and apply one of the paper squares. Smooth out the paper flat so that there are no bubbles and that it has formed a tight seal. 
3) While the tiles dry, cut out your felt or cork pads to size. 
4) When the tiles are dry, spray on a couple of layers of the polyurethane coating (be sure to space out each coat about 5-10 minutes apart). 
5) After a couple hours, when you're sure the tiles are dry, turn the coasters over and glue on the felt or cork pads. 

That's it! As soon as they are completely dry, spread them around your house, set them out by the pool or give them out to friends and family!!



Where to Buy:

If you're short on time or patience and want a couple of these (or 100 of these if it's for an event) I found a great seller I'd like to recommend! Floridalisa has over 64 different coaster sets in her shop so you're guaranteed to find something you like! Check her out here!

18 comments:

Madigan at madiganmade said...

I've stamped coasters before, but I've always wanted to try Mod Podge and paper. The baby ones are cute, too!

southernscraps said...

These are on my list to try. Yours are so pretty and cheery!

LrSchwtz said...

Great job, these look so nice! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

Ashley said...

love them all! i love your blog, new follower here
hope you can come visit me at
http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/
thanks xoxo
ash

Carolyn said...

Hi Sarah,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Your coasters turned out great. I would love for you to share this project at my linky party.
http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/06/inspiration-board-link-party_14.html

Thanks for sharing your project.

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

Mod Podge rocks doesn't it! I love your coasters :)

Thanks for stoppin by FFL, Your blog looks A-mazing! Seriously...I love it! New follower! Have a wonderful day :)

Lina
Fancy Frugal Life

Kylie@Stylish Settings said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I am going to try making these as a house warming present for my friend.

CMB Display Designs said...

What a great project! Can't wait to try it!!

Lynda @ {ubersavvy} said...

They are so simple and look fantastic.

Emma England said...

Sarah,
I was just on craftgawker and saw this post... I thought you'd like to know. :)

Sarah@everydayeasy said...

great project!

Charissa said...

What a great idea...someday for my own home...I want to make these!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

These coasters came out great. I've been wanting to try to make coasters sometime ! Thanks for linking this to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Hi Sarah, I featured your project on my link party this week! come on over and grab an “I’ve been Featured” button if you’d like!

Sarah @ The Bird's Papaya said...

I've been wanting to do these forever and NEVER thought of doing felt backings instead of cork. LOVE THAT. Great job on these!

Kelsey said...

These are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. As soon as I can find time I'm going to make them. You've definitely made a follower out of me!! Thanks! :)

bcriminger said...

I've also done these without paper. Just use alcohol inks to drop and let dry, or swirl the ink to make different textures! I've also stamped on them, but you have to use Stayz On ink, so it doesn't wear off!

Sasha Griffin said...

Has anyone tried doing this with printed out photos? I have some family pictures that would be great, but not sure how it would react with mod podge?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...