When I saw this tutorial on how to make your own coasters in Hostess with the Mostess I knew I had to try it! I. Love. This. Project!! They turned out so nicely! I can envision these as being the perfect little favor at a wedding or a baby shower (see my attempt at baby shower themed coasters below). And would you believe me if I told you the whole project (all 8 coasters) cost me under $3.00?!
How to Make
4 tiles (I used 4" coasters, but you can use any size you'd like)
Polyurethane spray for finishing coat
Patterned paper of your choice (this can be scrapbooking paper, wrapping paper, origami paper, etc)
Scissors or xacto knife
1) Trace your tile onto the patterned paper you chose and cute out. I decided to measure my tile and then use an xacto knife and a ruler because I seem incapable of tracing a straight line.
2) Working on one tile at a time, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge with a foam brush and apply one of the paper squares. Smooth out the paper flat so that there are no bubbles and that it has formed a tight seal.
3) While the tiles dry, cut out your felt or cork pads to size.
4) When the tiles are dry, spray on a couple of layers of the polyurethane coating (be sure to space out each coat about 5-10 minutes apart).
5) After a couple hours, when you're sure the tiles are dry, turn the coasters over and glue on the felt or cork pads.
That's it! As soon as they are completely dry, spread them around your house, set them out by the pool or give them out to friends and family!!
Where to Buy: