Monday, May 9, 2011

Tutorial: Ribbon Embellished Kraft Paper Runner


When I was planning the table presentation for our wedding last year, I instantly fell in love with the thought of crisp white tablecloths and burlap table runners. At the time there weren't many, if any, vendors selling burlap table runners, so I figured I'd make them. Soon after that thought crossed my mind, I realized that I didn't have nearly enough time to make 15 table runners. My next thought was that I'd just cut the burlap lengthwise and leave it looking extra rustic (it was in a barn after all) but a quick look at burlap prices and I was rethinking the whole idea. We tried really hard to keep all of our food and decorations within the realm of recyclable, sustainable, organic etc. and while searching for the bamboo plates we used, I found rolls of recycled kraft paper for sale. Bingo! A little idea light went off and I realized that the kraft paper would provide a similar look as the burlap (granted without the texture), it was recyclable, and there was no need for ironing or folding on the day of. In the end, I think it was one of my better decisions.

Our Table Set-Up!
My love for these paper table runners was renewed when I found this Martha Stewart Edger Threader while searching for fun paper punches. The minute I saw it, I knew what I wanted to do with it. I broke out the left over roll of kraft paper from the wedding, and went to work. Here's the tutorial!

How to Make:

Materials Needed:
Kraft paper, 12" - 18" wide, cut 2 feet longer than the length of your table
1/4" ribbon (you'll need about 2.25 times the length of your paper)
Scotch Tape
Instructions
1. Cut the paper to your desired length. Hint: Most tables at rental venues use 6' tables (requiring an 8' runner)
2. Using the paper punch, punch holes along both sides of the paper.
3. Without cutting the ribbon, thread it through the punches. When you get to the end, pull the ribbon through about an inch past the paper. When you cut the ribbon on the other side, also leave about an inch from the edge of the paper.
4. Repeat ribbon threading on the other side.
5. Tape the ribbon down on the underside of the runner.
6. Throw it over your table and enjoy!
Note: I like the basic look, but feel free to stamp, draw, stencil, etc until you're heart's content and you've make it uniquely yours!


    

Where to Buy:
To my knowledge, currently there's only one place to buy these fantastic runners from. Me! Though I'm sure I'll have competitors soon enough:) If you'd like to order some runners for your next event, you may access my diyordont etsy page here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...