Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tutorial: Paper Embellished Clothes Pins

Have you missed me?! Well, I've missed you. I enjoyed my little Memorial Day hiatus but I've got a bunch of projects I've been working on that I can't wait to share with you. If there is one thing I'm thankful for, it's that you guys can't see my house right now! My kitchen table is covered with enamel paint and twine (intrigued?!), our guest bedroom in hundreds of tiny quilting squares, and my desk in a thousand slivers of paper. The paper, as you may have guessed, is for these super cute clothes pins!


In my quest to find some fun and interesting ways to display some of the numerous photos I have yet to frame and put on the walls, I took notice of a couple adorned clothes pins that I saw somewhere and a little light bulb went off. I thought it would be really cute to extend some some ribbon or twine along the wall and use clothes pins to fasten pictures to it. I just happened to have a bunch of mini clothes pins left over from our wedding, so I dug them out and used some of the scrap paper pieces I've been saving. I think they turned out great and wanted to share this super simple tutorial with you.

How to Make

Materials Needed 
Small paint brush 
Scraps of patterned paper
Xacto Knife
Ruler

Instructions:
1) Measure out the width of your clothes pins and using your ruler and your Xacto knife, cut out strips from the different papers.
2) To get the proper length, place a strip on the table with the clothes pin over top of it. Slice the strip of paper where the clothes pin ends.
3) Using the paint brush, brush on a bit of Mod Podge on one flat side of the clothes pin.
4) Place the paper strip on the glued section and smooth out.
5) Repeat on other side if desired.
6) Wait until it dries and you're ready to use them!

Notes: Feel free to go wild decorating these. Hot glue buttons, ribbon, magnets, etc to them. The sky's the limit so be creative!!

Where to Buy

I love Etsy. Where else can you find a site that connects you with such creative and talented people?! It took me about 5 seconds to locate this wonderful seller who happens to have, among other things, a great selection of pretty little embellished clothes pin sets. TrinkArts is based in Australia but don't let that scare you, US shipping is only $1 more than our Aussie friends have to pay! 

Here's a nice little collage of some of her stuff:



Pin It

9 comments:

Robin said...

cute idea... have not tried yet. but plan to. your newest follower - came to visit from Snowflakes and Dragonflies. come follow me at:
http://carrollcraftycreations.blogspot.com/

Sarah M. said...

Thanks for the invite Robin! I can't wait to see what you have in store!

Olga said...

This such a cute idea! I'll need to give a try. I'm your new follower and found you at Creative Princess.

Karen Hunter said...

Really cute idea! Can't wait to try it out.
http://karenscraps.blogspot.com/

Sassy Sites! said...

Your clothespins turned out adorable! I've done these before, but mine didn't turn out even half as cute as yours! Thanks for linking up at Sassy Sites for our ffa party! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo!!

-Marni

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Wow! They turned out so cute!! I love the idea of using mini clothespins!

Jen said...

Those are so cute! Thanks for sharing them at Fantastic Friday!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Great idea! Thanks for stopping by to add this to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

bcriminger said...

super cute! I have some reg sized ones lying around that I might use, thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...