Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tutorial: DIY Painted Rug

It's been a few days since I've posted anything, but I assure you it's because I've been busy busy! Starting this blog has really pushed me to look beyond the quilting and fabric and find other types of mediums and crafts. Last weekend I started a bunch of projects involving paint.

First off, I may be crafty, but I'm not and artist. It's pitiful what I'm capable of with a paintbrush, but instead of being discouraged by this limitation, I decided to push my boundaries. The first paint oriented project that I've completed is my welcome mat.

I noticed one day that everyone in the hall of our condo building had a welcome mat, while our door remained empty of such a greeting. I didn't want to be perceived as unwelcoming, so the next time we were out at Target I picked one up. I must have been in a festive mood because without much foresight, I picked up a Christmas themed mat with a jolly snowman. Three months later, I was in the market for another mat.

I could have purchased one and stored the other one for next year, but I already have too much in storage, and I didn't really want to go back on the welcome mat hunt. I figured I could craft out of the situation. My first thought was paint, but didn't know if it was possible to successfully paint a rug. A quick Google search and was surprised to see that I was far from alone in my quest to paint a rug. Here are a couple of other examples of painted rugs:


Each of the above sites provided some great tutorials and instruction on how to paint my rug, but despite the recommendation of taping and stenciling, I went commando. Well, maybe "Free hand" would be more appropriate. Take a peak at the before and after!


Since the hubs and I just recently painted our condo, I had lots of leftover paint. I used the dining room and living room accent colors to tie the rug to the apartment. It may not be artistic, but I'm pretty happy with the results! If you've got a rug you're looking to paint, here's how I did it:

Materials Needed:
Primer
Paint (I used eggshell finish wall paint)
Paint brushes in a couple different sizes
drop cloth
Painters tape (optional)

Instructions:
1) Place your mat over the drop cloth. If you have pets, I recommend painting your rug where they can't walk all over it during the drying process. I unfortunately didn't have this luxury since my cat gets all the elevated places and the dog the floor. But, the up side is that I now have their footprints eternally preserved all over my  UN painted rug:)

2) Coat the rug with a layer of primer and let dry overnight.

3) Coat again with another layer of primer. My rug took two coats of primer and a coat of paint to cover the pattern underneath. The fabric just soaks up the moisture of the paint, which I guess is what a welcome should do.

4) Paint your top coat and let dry.

5) Tape up the rug in the desired pattern (optional)

6) Paint away!

7) Let dry completely and set out!














Where to Buy:
There are a number of sellers out there that make rugs of varying styles, but I tend to be drawn to bright colors and simple patterns that are geometric in nature. I was drawn to RumbleInc immediately. Their shop has painted rugs in small and medium sizes, so you can pick what's appropriate for the space you intend it for. Added bonus? They're local! Talk about a small world! It wasn't until after I'd written this that I noticed they are based out of Takoma Park, MD, just like me! I love keeping it local :)



4 comments:

The DIY Show Off said...

Great job, Sarah! I love that you recycled what you already had! Clever! So fun too - customizing colors and designs to fit your style! Thanks so much for the shout out! ;)

Can't wait to see what else you've been up to!
Have a wonderful week!

Roeshel

sarah.wandering. said...

Great job Sarah! Love the end result. I like to go commando too - not one to spend too much time taping and prepping.

Thank you for the shout out as well!

-sarah.wandering.-

susane said...

My warmest congratulations on your site! It helped me a lot and liked, especially that all your shares are interesting. Long life to your site. Above all, never give up; your blog is really on top!

voyance gratuite

dresses said...

Surprised by very expensive price of prom dresses and wedding dresses in various shops? You want to buy these dresses with high quality and cheap price? wdress rowberry mother of the bride reviews provides you a good choice.wdress anoushka g mother of the bride reviews

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...