Saturday, May 7, 2011

Tutorial: Birthday Banner



As promised! I've put together the D.I.Y. tutorial on how to make a birthday banner of your very own. 

How to Make:


Materials Needed:
Scrapbooking paper (13 sheets patterned and a couple unpatterned)
Double sided tape or glue stick
Ribbon or twine
Xacto knife or rotary blade cutter
Edge Punch with matching corner punch
Crop-A-Dile and 26 eyelets
Glitter
Glitter glue pen
Circular cutter
Ruler

Instructions:
1. Using the ruler and the exacto knife (or rotary cutter), cut patterned scrapbooking paper down to the size recommended by the edger that you have. Mine recommended a couple measurements, I went with 6.75”.

2. Punch corners with the corner punch

3. Use Edge punch around all 4 sides of the square. Remember to line up the pattern with the pattern on the edger, otherwise your pattern won’t be consistent.

4. Cut out the circles that will go in the center of the square. This is the part that will have the letter on it. I used a 4” circle. Use unpatterned paper that compliments the colors of the patterned paper.

5. Decide what order you want your squares to be in and what color 4” circles you want on each patterned square.

6. Trace the outline of the one letter on to each of the 4” circles. You can use a stencil, free hand it, or, as I did, use a computer monitor as a light box. I opened up a word document, chose the font I wanted and blew up the letters to the size I wanted. I then put the paper of the screen and traced the letter onto the paper.

7. Glue or tape the circles to the center of your squares.

8. Outline the letters with the glitter glue and sprinkle on the glitter, shaking off the excess over a spare piece of paper so that you can put it back in the container.

9. Use the Crop-A-Dile to punch 2 holes in each of the squares. Put one hole in the top left corner and one in the top right corner of each square.

10. Add an eyelet to each of the holes using the Crop-A-Dile.

11. Using twine or ribbon, connect each of the squares together.

12. String up and enjoy!!



Where to Buy:
If you're not up to spending 2 hours of your life on a birthday banner, have no fear! SoSweetPartyShop will take good care of all your birthday banner needs. Just a few moments browsing their shop and you'll be dreaming up parties to throw just to give you an excuse to buy!

{Shameless Plug}


You can also find this banner available in my new DIYorDont Etsy shop here. 

4 comments:

Linda / PaperPhine said...

Beautiful idea! I'm looking for ideas for my niece's birthday party and I think she would definitely enjoy a banner similar to yours. Thanks for the good tutorial - I hope I'll find the time!
Linda

amy said...

I love it! Me wee-ist is turning 1 next week & I just may use your fabulous tutorial!
Thanks so much for sharing!

Jen said...

This is great, a birthday banner is on my list of things to make this year! Thanks for sharing this at Fantastic Friday.

susane said...

Great blog, I love your articles and reports, good luck.

telephone gay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...