Monday, April 25, 2011

Earth Day Dare #5

This past weekend, I came to the conclusion that I have too many pairs of jeans in my closet that no longer fit. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that I'm not the only woman in the world who currently owns, and has readily accessible in her closet, an array of jeans in sizes that no longer apply to her. It's not rational, but they're there. They've survived about as many moves as it has been years since they've fit me, but instead of throwing them out, as I should have done numerous times over, I hang on to them. After all, there may come a day when I'm in need of a pair of jeans in one of those sizes. Right? But enough's enough, and I'm done staring at the damn things. So it got me thinking, what do I do with them now?

Being who I am, my first instinct was to try and think of what to craft with them so I went online and searched the net for awesome denim ideas. Surprisingly, most of them were pretty awful (unless you're looking for an apron made out of the butt of your jeans), but I did find a couple that I absolutely MUST share! I also decided that I'd donate the bulk of my old jeans and only keep a pair or two. Hubby works for a wonderful nonprofit (shout out to Miriam's Kitchen!) and I know how much they rely on donations.

Here are a few great ways old jeans can be used:
1) I personally love this pot holder idea. We never seem to have enough pot holders around, and it's not something I ever think to buy for myself when I'm out but I'd love to stitch one together quick! The woman who posted this fun tip has a great blog called The Sassy Crafter, check her out!

2) Cut-off wallet anyone? This is a fun idea for that favorite pair of jeans you just can't bare to part with. This project, developed by littleberry on Instructables has a step by step guide on how to replicate the project here.

3) Being that I'm not a parent, I don't generally pay very close attention to baby accessories, but I fell instantly in love with these bibs! From the blog ThimblyThings, all you need is your old jeans, some coordinating fabric of your choice, and a pretty little ribbon. Get the step-by-step here.

4) The minute I saw these coffee sleeves being sold in coffee shops, I wanted to make one. I mean, why spend $10 on something that would be way more fun to make? WasoCafeNews posted instructions here on how to put this understated cozie together.

Where to Buy:
Buy #1: If denim pot holders are a must have for you and you're not willing to take the scissors to them, check out DenimForever, a new seller on Etsy with some beautiful option. Browse the selection here.



Buy #2: Looking to acquire one of these great denim wallets? Go with CRAP! Not kidding. CRAP (Craft Brewers Re-cyled Art Project) is a vendor from Canada that uses what others would consider trash to create awesome usable items! Check their "CRAP" out here!


Buy #3: It didn't take me long to locate a seller making super cute recycled denim bibs. Dragunflidesignz has a couple of really cute options in her store here. 



Buy #4: While there are a number of denim coffee cozie sellers, one stood out from the others. Claudiascreation1  creates recycled cozies with an extra artistic flair. Check them out here.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I just love your blog and have just awarded you with the 'The Versatile Blogger' award. Check out my latest blog entry for the details http://abuddhafuljourney.blogspot.com/2011/04/and-award-goes-to.html

herbanlifestyle said...

Great post! I love old jean material. Just today, I received some cute hearts from Claudiascreation1, which I won in EcoEtsy's charity auction. They have great details and use several different shades of denim.

And, small world. I volunteer at Miriam's Kitchen. It's my absolutely favorite DC charity!

susane said...

Congratulations on your great site! Congratulations and good continuation!

voyance sérieuse en ligne

susane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...